Water heaters are an essential part of many homes and businesses. They provide hot water for cooking, cleaning, and bathing. However, like all appliances, water heaters can break down and require repair or maintenance.
When a water heater breaks down, it is important to get it fixed promptly. Unfortunately, many people are unfamiliar with water heater repair and maintenance and don’t know where to start.
That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide. Here, you’ll learn everything you need to know about water heater repair and maintenance, including how to troubleshoot common problems, when to call a professional, and how to extend the lifespan of your water heater.
When to Repair or Replace Your Water Heater
When a water heater stops working, the first step is to decide whether to repair or replace it. In many instances, the decision is straightforward – if the water heater is over a decade old and shows signs of tear and wear, it’s best to replace it with a new one. On the other hand, if the water heater is relatively new and seems to have incurred minor damage or failure, it is usually inexpensive and more time-efficient to repair it. Common signs of water heater repair include:
- Inconsistent hot water temperature.
- Slow hot water production.
- Strange noises.
- Water is leaking from the tank.
It’s advisable to have a professional inspect the water heater before determining whether to repair or replace it. The water heater repair technician will be able to determine and accurately diagnose the issue, how costly it will be to fix it, and whether replacing or repairing the water heater is a better option.
How to Troubleshoot Common Water Heater Problems
Most water heater issues can be easily fixed with a few simple repairs. The first step is to identify and troubleshoot the issue. Here are some common water heater problems and how to fix them. One of the most common water heater issues is a lack of hot water. This can happen for various reasons, from a broken heater element or thermostat. Another common issue is water leaking from the tank. This can be caused by corroded pipes, a faulty temperature and pressure relief valve, or insufficient insulation. To fix the issue, tighten corroded pipes and replace the temperature and pressure relief valve if necessary. Additionally, make sure the tank is properly insulated.
Tips for Maintaining Your Water Heater
Regular maintenance is essential for keeping your water heater working properly and extending its lifespan. Here are some tips for maintaining your water heater:
- Check the temperature and pressure relief valve. This valve is an important safety feature, so it should be in good working condition and routinely tested to ensure its functioning correctly.
- Check the sacrificial anode rod. This rod prevents corrosion inside the tank, so it should be checked and replaced every few years.
- Check the pipes and connections. Ensure all connections are tight and secure and check for any signs of corrosion or leakage.
- Flush the tank. Flushing the tank regularly prevents sediment buildup and can help extend the life of your water heater.
- Make sure the tank is properly insulated.
Insulating the tank can help reduce heat loss, lower energy costs, and prevent the water from becoming too hot.
The Benefits of Hiring a Professional for Water Heater Repair and Maintenance
Hiring a professional for water heater repair and maintenance has many benefits:
- A professional has the tools and expertise to accurately diagnose the problem and determine the best course of action for a fix.
- A professional can identify other potential issues a homeowner may not know about, such as corroded pipes or an insufficiently insulated tank.
- A professional can help save time and money. Without the right tools and knowledge, repairing or replacing a water heater can take longer, and mistakes can be costly.
- A professional can provide advice and guidance on best practices for maintaining and prolonging the life of your water heater.
How to Find a Water Heater Professional
Finding a qualified water heater repair professional is essential if you need repair or maintenance services. Here are some tips for finding a reliable water heater professional;
- Ask family and friends for recommendations. Word of mouth is often the best way to find a reputable service provider.
- Check online reviews. Reviews from previous customers can give you an idea of what to expect from the service provider.
- Make sure the service provider is licensed, insured, and experienced. Licensed professionals are held to a higher standard and will be able to provide quality services.
Get Your Water Heater Repaired or Replaced by a Professional Today!
Water heaters are an important part of many homes and businesses, so ensuring they are functioning properly and efficiently is important. If you have problems with your water heater, it is best to call a professional for repair or replacement services. At T-Top Plumbing Company, Inc. we are a full-service plumbing company, so we can handle all of your home’s plumbing needs—including the ones you don’t think of as plumbing problems. If your hot water seems to be taking forever to run out of the tap and into the sink, or if it seems like it’s running through at a much lower temperature, you may have a problem with your water heater.
Call us today for more information!